Regardless of the price of a gallon of gas, it is always great to be able to save. Often, the small things we do can add up to big fuel savings. If you are looking to save money on gas, here are some easy things you can start doing today.
Ways to Save on Gas
- Lighten your load—Extra weight decreases gas mileage.
- Avoid long idles—Idling for only one minute consumes the same amount of gas that is required for starting your engine.
- Plan your trip ahead of time—Consolidate your trip to places that are close to one another.
- Open the windows—Instead of blasting the air conditioning on a hot day, open the windows or use your car vents, which circulate outside
- Get your oil changed—Stay up-to-date on oil changes. They should be done approximately every 3,000 miles for conventional motor oil.
- Drive slower—You can improve your gas mileage by nearly 20% by driving 55 mph instead of 65 mph.
- Maintain your tires—Keep your tires properly inflated and aligned and perform regular maintenance checks on your tires.
- Drive smart—Be sure to accelerate gradually from a dead stop, rather than stomping on the gas pedal.
- Verify your rating—Make sure you are selecting the right octane rating at the pump.
Prioritize Fuel Efficiency When Buying Your Next Vehicle
Considering buying a new or used vehicle? Before making a purchase, check the gas mileage ratings of similar vehicles of interest to you. Then, narrow down your options on a model that is fuel-efficient in the size category that meets your needs.
For additional fuel efficiency tips and auto insurance solutions, contact TIG Advisors today.